In the recipe I shared some tips. Please please make sure you follow those tips for perfect Chomchom. Thanks and Eid mubarrak.
- 2 litre milk
- Vinegar or lemon juice
- 3 cup sugar for syrup
- 1 and ½ tbsp. sugar for caramel
- 2 tsp plain flour(moida)
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- Check my chana recipe to make chana from milk and vinegar (personally I never use lemon juice, but some prefers to use lemon juice). After making chana place it into a strain to drain whey (water), you need to bring it to room temperature quick (add some ice or place under running tap).
- Squeeze or strain the water from chan. We don’t need any excess water in chana.
- Knead it with plain flour and baking powder for 5-8 minutes (I prefer food processor for kneading) and divide into 20 equal parts. Shape into cylinder or round (traditionally cylinder shape).
- In the middle of you are giving shape of your chomchom, start boiling sugar and 5 cups of water together in a large sauce with lid(make it large to hold chomchom, it will be double in size after boiling).
- When sugar dissolves and comes to boiling point, add chomchom and boil in syrup for 15 minutes for under closed lid on medium heat.
- In the meanwhile make caramel with sugar. Caramel means just melts the sugar and bring it light brown colour (you don’t need to add any water).
- After making caramel add ½ cup water in it and dissolve caramel.
- Add caramel water in your boiling syrup and cook 10 more minutes under closed lid.
- Open the lid and cook 10 minutes more.So altogether we are boiling chomchom for 35 minutes on medium heat. 25 minutes under closed lid and 10 minutes without lid. And after first 15 minutes we are adding caramel water.
- Turn off the heat and keep chomchom in syrup for 3-4 hours before rolling in mawa. Check my mawa recipe.
- Enjoy Chomchom.