Dal PuriOct 29
Dal puri is basically flat bread stuffed with lentil and spices. It is a very popular snack in Bangladesh and India. Usually red lentil is used for this recipe. Some people like to use dry chilli for this but my personal choice is green chilli (if possible Bombay chilli). If anyone wants to use dry chilli, dry chilli fry first and then make a flake.
- ½ cup red lentil
- 3 green chilli finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ sliced medium onion
- ½ teaspoon ginger paste
- ½ teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- ½ Bombay chilli (optional)
- 1 and ½ cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Oil for deep fry
- Black salt (optional)
- Wash the lentil and cook the lentil with ¾ cup water, green chilli, turmeric, onion, ginger, garlic and salt.
- Sometimes you need more water to cook the lentil. When water gets dry, take off from hot plate and mix coriander and Bombay chilli. Make a mash keep it aside.
- First dissolve the salt with water and mix the flour and oil. Knead the dough 4 minutes (even you can use food processer for that). Cover the dough and let it set for 10-15 minutes.
- Divide the dough and lentil stuffing into 10 equal sizes.
- Roll the dough into 3” diameter bread and place the lentil ball in the middle. Seal the edge by pulling the edges of rolled dough together to make a ball.
- In this way make all 10 balls. Let them sit 5 minutes before rolling them.
- Heat the frying pan on medium heat and pour the oil.
- Roll the balls. It will be easier if you roll the ball in dry flour.
- Carefully press the ball on seal side and keep it on the topside while rolling. Make it 4’ diameter.
- Check the oil to put a little piece of dough in the oil if it sizzles and comes up slowly .It means the oil is ready.
- Place the puri in the oil and fry it until golden brown on both sides. Serve the puris with a sprinkle of black salt (bit lobon).
Hi This is Rownak, Great to have you here on my blog. Hope you are liking my recipes so far. Please consider liking our Facebook Page . I am putting lot of my time and effort on my Facebook page, and oh! of course I am on Twitter too!