Balachaung is more Burmese dish than Bangladesh. Though it is very popular in Bangladesh (specially in Chittagong). This version of Balachaung has long shelf life. You can just make it and keep it airtight container about two months. It is a spicy dish with lot of dry chillies, though you can add more or less as you taste and depend on the heat of your chillies.
- 1 cup dried shrimp
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 6-7 dry chillies
- 1 and ½ tbsp. sliced garlic
- ½ tsp chilli powder (optional)
- ½ lemon
- Salt to taste
- Deep fry sliced onion till it becomes light golden brown
- Fry garlic till it becomes light golden brown.
- Fry dry chillies slightly. Coarse crush it.
- Wash the dry shrimp and fry(no oil) it to it gets dry and crisp.
- Squeeze lemon in prawn and add salt and chilli powder. Mix it.
- Turn off the heat and add all fried ingredients with shrimp. Mix well.
- Let Balachaung cool down before store it.