By Rownak Jahan,
March 27, 2012Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4-6 serves
Haleem is basically spicy lentil soup. I found that soup mix is a handy thing to make it. Though I mix moog dal with soup mix in this recipe. Soup mix actually mix of wheat, red lentil, split peas mixture . If you want to make by yourself , just use equal amount of wheat red lentil, split peas, moong dal and green moong(mashkolai / urad dal). I skipped green moong (mashkolai dal in this recipe) and added moong dal with soup mix here . Hope you will like home made the flavour of haleem.
• 1 and ½ cup soup mix
• ½ cup moong dal
• 2 tablespoon kali jeera rice ( enhance flavour a lot)
• 500 gram beef or mutton(curry cut)
• 2 large onion sliced
• 1 tablespoon chilli powder
• 1 tablespoon curry powder
• 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
• 2 teaspoon ginger paste
• 1 teaspoon garlic paste
• 2 green chillies sliced
• 2 tablespoons cucumber sliced
• 2 teaspoon Ginger finely chopped
• ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
• ½ lime
• 3 tablespoon oil / ghee
• ½ teaspoon black salt
• Salt to taste
1. Soak the soup mix, kali jeera rice and moong dal together at least 1 hour.
2. Boil it till it becomes tender. Let it cool down and blend it.
3. Fry the onion till it becomes golden brown. Take out ½ amount of fried onion from oil and keep aside.
4. In oil add all powder and paste spices except cumin.
5. When oil comes out add meat and cook till it becomes tender.
6. Add soup mix puree, salt and water. Bring it to boil and add cumin. Take off from stove.
7. Serve haleem hot with cucumber, fried onion, lemon, ginger and black salt.