By Rownak Jahan,
December 22, 2011
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 Hilsa Steak
Hilsa/ilish is the national fish of Bangladesh. So you can guess how much we love Hilsa(ilish). Ilish dobhaja is an unique recipe which goes very well with pilau(polau). I am not using ginger paste in this recipe, if your fish is long time stored use 1 teaspoon ginger paste.
• 6 pieces hilsa steak
• 1 sliced medium onion
• 2 tablespoon onion paste
• 1 teaspoon chilli powder
• ½ teaspoon turmeric
• 2 green chillies
• 1 bay leaf
• ½ teaspoon fried cumin powder
• 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves(optional)
• 4 tablespoon oil
• Salt to taste
1. Clean hilsa pieces and apply turmeric and ½ teaspoon salt on fish pieces.
2. Heat the pan with half amount oil and when oil is ready, fry the fish pieces in both sides. Need to half fry them.
3. Remove the pieces and add rest of oil with onion slice and bay leaf. Fry the onion till it become soft.
4. Add chilli powder, onion paste, 1 tablespoon water and salt. Stir it and cook it till oil comes out.
5. Add 1 cup of water and bring it on boiling point. Then add the fish pieces.
6. Cook it under closed lid about 5 minutes. Flip the fish and add coriander leaves, green chilli and cumin powder.
7. Coot it under closed lid 2 more minutes and turn off heat.
8. Serve hot ilish dobhaja with pilau(polau) or rice.
Hi This is Rownak, Great to have you here on my blog. Hope you are liking my recipes so far. Please consider liking our Facebook Page . I am putting lot of my time and effort on my Facebook page, and oh! of course I am on Twitter too!