Hilsa in leaves / Ilish Paturi
By Rownak Jahan,
January 23, 2012
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 22 minutes
Yield: 6 Hilsa Steak Hilsa in leaves / Ilish Paturi is a unique fish item. You can steam the wrapped fish but I like to cook on pan. You can use even bottle gourd leaves. If you want to make from fresh mustard paste, make paste of 2 tablespoons mustard and chilli together.
• 1 large onion chopped
• 4 green chillies chopped
• 3 tablespoon mustard paste
• 1 tablespoon poppy seed paste(optional)
• 3 tablespoon oil
• Salt to taste
• 6 toothpicks
1. Mix onion, chillies, turmeric, mustard, poppy seed, 1 tablespoon oil and salt together.
2. Clean the leaves and hilsa.
3. Add the paste mix to hilsa and warp with 2 pumpkin leaves each fish. Secure it with toothpick.
4. Heat the pan with rest of oil on medium and place the wrapped fishes.
5. Need to cook about 20 minute under closed lid and add 2 tablespoons water after every 5 minutes.
6. Don’t forget to flip them.
7. Serve hot Hilsa in pumpkin leaves / ilish paturi with rice.
You can steam it too.