By Rownak Jahan,
May 21, 2012
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
I know very well that all of us (who live in overseas) just love to cook biryani. But we only cook pakki biryani. In pakki Biryani meat and rice are cooked separately then mix together and in kachchi biryani meat and rice are cooked together. As you know that kachchi biryani has more flavour (to me 10 times) than pakki biryani.
When I cooked my first kachchi biryani, I was sure that mutton would not cooked. But in reality mutton was cooked like cotton ball(Just loved it). So please please try kachchi biryani next time and share your opinion.
In kachchi biryani meat size is supposed to be 2 -3 times larger than curry cut meat. If you can’t get large cut, use normal one.
• 1 kg mutton(large curry cut)
• 2 and ½ cups rice
• 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
• 2 large onion sliced
• 3 tablespoon ginger paste
• 1 tablespoon garlic paste
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 1 teaspoon coriander powder
• ½ teaspoon black pepper crushed
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
• ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
• ½ teaspoon cumin powder
• ½ teaspoon sugar
• 1/3 teaspoon nut meg powder
• 1/3 teaspoon mace
• 6 green chillies
• 4-6 cloves
• 2 bay leaves
• ½ cup oil
• ½ cup clarified butter
• Salt to taste
• 1 tablespoon rose water
Also needs 2 cups flour
1. Wash the meat and add all spices (except clove, green chiilies and bay leaves). Let it marinate for ½ hour.
2. Fry the onion till it becomes golden brown and remove oil. Keep aside the fried onion.
3. Heat 5 cups water. When water boils, add rice, bay leaves, clove and 1 teaspoon salt and cook it till it comes to first boil.
4. Remove from heat and drain it. Keep the water.
5. Take a heavy bottomed sauce pan and add marinated mutton, fried onion, oil,whole green chillies, salt and water from rice( as much to cover mutton ). Spread rice and clarified butter over the mutton.
6. Make dough from flour and seal the pan with flour dough.
7. Cook it 10 minutes on high heat and 50 minutes on low heat.
8. After 10 minutes open the lid carefully and add rose water.
9. Serve kachchi biryani hot with your favourite salad.
Hi This is Rownak, Great to have you here on my blog. Hope you are liking my recipes so far. Please consider liking our Facebook Page . I am putting lot of my time and effort on my Facebook page, and oh! of course I am on Twitter too!