Rui Macher Muri Ghonto
By Rownak Jahan,
October 9, 2011Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
When I was checking my blog, I only posted desserts or appetizers. Where is the main dish? So I will decide to post some main dishes now. Then I think what the recipe will be, may be some authentic fish recipe. It is not actually main dish but very authentic Bangladeshi dish. It is a spicy dish moong lentil cooked with Rohu/Rui fish head. I am going to share my mother’s recipe for the first time. There is no chance to get wrong because she has 35 years experience of cooking.
1 and ½ cups Moong Dal
1 large Rui Fish head
1 cup sliced onion
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon ginger paste
1 tablespoon chilli powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon fried cumin powder
1 bay leaf
3-4 green chillies
Fresh coriander leaves
5 tablespoon vegetables oil
Salt to taste
How to make:
- First roast moong dal on slow heat until lentil is crisp. But be careful we don’t want to burn it. And soak in water 15 minutes. Then drain the water.
- Clean the head properly. If possible cut into pieces otherwise keep it whole. It will break into pieces after cooking.
- Take 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon turmeric and rub with the head.
- Heat a deep pan on medium high and take 2 tablespoon oil. Fry the head each side. Take out the head and add rest of oil in same pan.
- Fry onion until it becomes soft. Add ginger paste, garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder, chopped garlic and bay leaves.
- Fry spices until oil comes out. Add 2 tablespoon water and cook 2 minutes.
- Add the lentil. Fry 3 minutes and add 6 cups of water and salt.
- Bring to boil and add the head and green chillies. Simmer on low heat till lentil is cooked.
- Add fried cumin and coriander leaves. Serve hot.