Red velvet cake is originally from USA. This gorgeous cake goes very well in valentine day, anniversary or birthday. I was not very keen to upload this recipe because of not very Bangladeshi. I got lots of requests for this. That’s why I am giving it.
This recipe is inspired by www.joyofbaking.com.
· 2 and ½ cups sifted cake flour
· ½ teaspoon salt
· 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (I used Ovaltine)
· ½ cup unsalted butter
· 1 cup white sugar
· 2 eggs
· 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
· 1 cup buttermilk
· 2 tablespoons liquid red food colour
· 1 teaspoon white vinegar
· 1 teaspoon baking soda
· 1 cup milk
· 1 tsp white vinegar
· 600 ml cream
· 1 and ½ icing sugar
Also need two same size cake pans.
How to make:
1. For butter milk mix milk and vinegar together and keep aside for 10 minutes.
2. In a mixing bowl sift together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder and keep aside.
3. Mix butter milk and red colour together.
4. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
5. In bowl of your electric mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar beat until light and fluffy.
6. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well ; add the vanilla essence.
7. Add flour mixture and butter milk alternately( I mean add bit flour , beat it, then add bit butter milk and beat; continue this process till all flour and butter milk added to batter.
8. In a small cup combine the vinegar and baking soda. Allow the mixture to fizz and then quickly fold into the cake batter.
9. Divide the batter evenly between the two pans and bake in the preheated oven for approximately 25 – 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cakes comes out clean. Let it cool down before we start frosting. I cut each cake in half to make four layers.
10. Beat the cream and add icing sugar little at a time. Beat till you get stiff peaks.
11. With a serrated knife, cut each cake layer in half, horizontally. You will now have four cake layers. Spread the cake layer with a layer of frosting. Place another layer of cake on top of the frosting and continue to frost and stack the cake layers. Frost the top and sides of the cake.
1. Sift the flour and then measure it.
2. Refrigerate the cake before cutting the cake and frosting to make easier.