Tel Koi /Spicy Anabas (Climbing Perch)
Hi! Hope everyone had wonderful Eid. Anabas (Climbing Perch) is one of my favourite fishes. Before giving the recipe I should tell strange fact of this fish. During heavy rain Koi / Anabas(Climbing Perch) go out from water and starts climbing on earth(Interesting).
Bangladeshi who lives in overseas, misses 3 “F”s(Family, friends and fresh fish) and poor me don’t like to cook old frozen fish. But something is better than nothing (nai mamar cheye kana mama bhalo). Because I am using frozen fish, I use ginger and fry fish first. If you have fresh fish, you can omit these two things. Thanks
• 4 Koi fish ( washed and cleaned)
• 1 small onion sliced
• 1/3 cup onion paste
• ½ ts turmeric powder
• 2 ts chilli powder
• 1 ts ginger paste
• 1 bay leaf
• 4 green chillies
• 2 tbs chopped coriander leaves
• Salt to taste
• ½ cup oil
1. About cleaning Koi fish is very important (because mud inside head). Use tooth pick to clean inside head. Rub salt well to clean the fish. Cut 1-2 slits on each side of each fish.
2. Add 1/3 ts salt and ¼ ts turmeric powder to the fish and fry the fishes 3 minutes in each side. Remove from oil and keep them aside.
3. In the same oil with bay leaves and sliced onion and cook it becomes transparent and soft. Add 2 tablespoons water and repeat the process(cook it till oil is separated).
4. Add rest of spices and 1/4 teaspoon salt and sauté it till oil is separated.
5. Add 1 cup water and cook 3 minutes.
6. Add fish pieces and green chillies: cook 6 minutes under closed lid.
7. Add coriander leaves, cook 1-2 minutes and remove it from heat.
8. Tel Koi /Spicy Anabas (Climbing Perch) with steamy hot rice or even polau.
Tips: you can add green peas or climbing spinach leaves (pui shak) in it.
Hi This is Rownak, Great to have you here on my blog. Hope you are liking my recipes so far. Please consider liking our Facebook Page . I am putting lot of my time and effort on my Facebook page, and oh! of course I am on Twitter too!