Bottle Gourd with Prawn/ Lau Chingri
Bottle gourd /lau is an unique vegetable. I was shocked when I found that Bottle gourd/ lau is originated from Africa not from Asia. But it is used widely in Bangladeshi cuisine. Here I am giving bottle Gourd with Prawn/ lau chingri of the easiest recipe which you never go wrong. In the list of ingredients you can see that I use sugar. Don’t get shocked about it. Sugar is used as a taste enhancer in Bangladesh and other countries. Hope you will like.
• 800 grams bottle gourd
• 150 grams peeled prawn or to your taste
• ½ medium sliced onion
• 1 tablespoon onion paste
• ¼ turmeric powder
• 1 and ½ teaspoon chilli powder
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
• 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
• 3 tablespoon oil
• Salt to taste
How to cook:
1. First peel the bottle gourd and cut into small pieces.
2. Wash bottle gourd and keep aside.
3. Heat the pan with oil on medium heat and add sliced onion and bay leaf.
4. Cook it till it becomes soft and add turmeric, chilli powder, 1 teaspoon salt and onion paste.
5. When oil comes out, add prawn and cook it about 1-2 minutes,
6. Add bottle gourd pieces, stir it and cover the lid.
7. After 2 minute add 1 and ½ cups water or enough water to cook bottle Gourd / Lau and stir it.
8. Cook it under close lid till bottle gourd becomes tender.
9. Check the salt and add sugar and coriander leaves.
10. Stir again and turn off the heat.
11. Serve bottle gourd with prawn/ lau chingri with rice.
Tips : you can even fry prawn first and add with half cooked bottle gourd later.