Chingri Polau / Prawn Rice
Most of us make prawn curry mixed with rice( chingri curry makha bhat) instead of making Chingri Polau / Prawn Rice. Chingri Polau / Prawn Rice should be unique prawn flavoured rice with minimal spices. Some of us love to peas, potatoes, cauliflower even carrot. Personally I love to use fried crispy diced potatoes. Using potatoes and vegetables is optional or to your taste. I used oil here to keep prawn’s smell intact. And about rice please please try to use Chinugura or Kalijeera (tradition Bangladeshi polau rice), I bet that you will love taste this rice. Please don’t forget to join my facebook group or like my facebook page to keep in touch with me .Thanks.
• 2 cups rice(Chinugura preferable)
• 1 cup diced potato+ ¼ ts vinegar + 1/8 ts baking+ ¼ ts salt
• 300 grams prawn(Peeled and deveined)
• 2 tablespoon coconut milk or ½ cup milk
• ½ cup finely chopped onion
• 1/6 teaspoon turmeric powder
• 1 teaspoon garlic paste
• 1 teaspoon ginger paste
• 3 green chillies
• 1 cardamom pod
• 2 cloves
• 1” cinnamon sticks
• 1 bay leaf
• ½ teaspoon sugar
• 1/3 cup oil
1. Wash rice and soak it in water for 20 minutes. Place rice into strainer and keep it aside.
2. Wash the diced potato and pat dry it. Mix baking powder, salt and vinegar to it.
3. Fry the potato in medium heat till it becomes crisp light golden brown. Remove fried potato pieces from oil and keep it aside.
4. Mix turmeric, ¼ teaspoon salt with prawn and fry it in same oil for 2-3 minutes. Remove fried prawns from oil and keep it aside.
5. In same oil add chopped onion and fry till it becomes transparent.
6. Add rest of spices except green chillies, ½ ts salt and milk and cook it till oil is separated.
7. Add rice and fry it for 2-3 minutes (stir occasionally).
8. Add 3 cups of warm water, green chillies and sugar in it and cook it under closed lid 10 on medium high heat.
9. Add prawn and give a stir. Cook (dum-e) on low heat and 5-6 minutes.
10. Check salt and add fried potato pieces with poluo.
11. Enjoy Chingri Polau / Prawn Rice.