Daler Bori/ Lentil Dumpling / ডালের বড়ি
To live overseas makes us to love more our country. Daler bori / Lentil Dumpling I dont think , i would ever try to make this very traditional food, if I am in Bangladesh. So with my traditional Bangladeshi daler bori / Lentil Dumpling which quite is easy to make if you just follow the tips, you will get perfect homemade Bari. Enjoy.
- 1 cup Urad Dal(mashkolai dal)
- 2/3 cup grated ripe wax gourd(paka chalkumra)/ radish(mula) / lobok(mula) / Plantain(kacha kola)
- Wash the dal and soak it 5-6 hours or overnight. Soak lentil overnight in that you make in the morning and get dry under sun all day.
- Soak grated ripe wax gourd (paka chalkumra) in water and wash well. Squeeze it or hung it in cheese cloth to get rid of excess water.
- Strain water and grind lentil into a paste with 1-2 tablespoon water. If you use more water you will get flat Bori/ Dumpling. Dal paste does nt to be smooth or fine. I usually use food processor to make paste.
- Add the grated waxed gourd and beat well till batter is aerated. To check batter is ready or not, drop a bit of batter in water, if batter floats, stop beating and start placing on try.
- Scoop out very small ball of the dal batter with your hand and place it on the plate.
- Sun dry bori / dumpling for a few days. Do not try to pick them. It will come out on its own when it dries.
- You can keep Daler Bori/ Lentil Dumpling in airtight container about year. But you need to redry under sun once in every month.
- If you can’t find Urad Dal(mashkolai dal), you can use moong dal.
- Soak lentil overnight in that you make in the morning and get dry under sun all day.
- If you don’t have ripe wax gourd, you can use radish(mula).
- Traditionally bori are placed on cotton cloth, I used baking paper. Greased tray is another option.
- Aerated the batter is very important. To check batter is ready or not, drop a bit of batter in water, if batter floats, stop beating.
- Give the size of the bori to your choice, though bigger size bori will take long time to dry.
- If you do not get enough sun, you can still make Daler Bori in oven. Just place bori in baking tray and bake on lowest temperature or 70-90˚C for 4-5 hours till it dries out.
- You can keep Daler Bori/ Lentil Dumpling in airtight container about year. But you need to re-dry under sun once in every month.