Jorda / Zarda / Sweet rice
There are two versions of Jorda / Zarda, one is pineapple and another one is orange. So in orange Jorda / orange Zarda orange zest, orange juice(optional) and pulp are used . And for pineapple jorda / pineapple Zarda diced pineapple and pineapple juice(optional) are used. I am giving here basic recipe , with that you can make your desire Jorda / Zarda / Sweet rice.
• 2 cups Basmati Rice/ Kalijeera / Chinigura
• 1 tablespoon sliced almonds/ Cashew / to your choice
• 1 cup diced pine apple / orange pulp
• 1 and ½ tablespoon orange zest(If your are make orange jorda)
• ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
• 1’’ cinnamon stick
• 3-4 clove
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 cups sugar
• ¼ cup mawa (optional)
• 1/3 cup clarified butter(ghee)
• 1 teaspoon saffron imitation /orange food colour
Also need 100 grams kalojam(Small) / dry fruits / nuts for garnish .
1. Soak the rice in water about 15 minutes and cook the rice with bay leaf, cinnamon stick and food colour. Drain the rice and keep aside.
2. Heat the pan with clarified butter on medium high. Add sugar, clove, cardamom powder and 1/4 cup water. Cook it till sugar is melt.
3. Add cooked rice and orange / pineapple and cook till sugar and rice cooperates together.
4. Add mawa, sliced nuts and orange zest(If your are make oramge jorda) ; stir it.
5. Turn off the heat and serve chilled Jorda / Zarda / Sweet rice garnish with kalojam / dry fruits / nuts.
1. Cook rice bit over, I mean that you need bit overcook rice, otherwise your Jorda will be too hard.
2.Instead of water you can use orange juice / pineapple juice to make syrup .