Khaja / Jive Goja
Khaja is Sugar coated Bangladeshi pastry. Because of its tongue it calls Jive Goja in some places. Jiv means tongue in Bengali and goja is sugar coated snacks.
• 1 cup plain flour
• 1 tbsp semolina
• ½ tsp salt
• 1/3 tsp baking powder
• 2 and 1/2 tbsp ghee/oil
• 2 tsp rice flour
• Oil for deep fry
• 1 cup sugar
• ¼ cup water
1. Take flour, semolina, salt and 2 tbsp ghee in a bowl and mix well.
2. Add water (¼ cup and 1 tbsp) to make it into tight dough. Knead well for 5 min. Let it sits for 10 minutes.
3. Divide into 2 balls. Roll each ball into thin about 12” wide flat bread or as thin possible.
4. Take a flat bread and brush ghee over it and rub rice flour; place other bread over it and repeat ghee and rice flour process.
5. Fold up like paper fan and cut the roll 1” pieces and roll each piece like tongue or rectangle shape.
6. Heat the oil on low medium heat and fry it till it becomes light golden.
7. Remove those from oil into paper towel. Repeat the process to finish all.
8. Heat a separate pan with sugar and water. Boil about 2-3 minutes the syrup thickens and becomes sticky.
9. When white bubbles start to show from bottom, add Khaja and stir constantly on low heat so that all are coated. Turn off heat when syrup starts crystallized. let Khaja / Jive Goja cool down.
10. Serve Khaja / Jive Goja as a snack.