My Homemade Ghee / Clarified Butter
Festive season is knocking on the door and homemade ghee will be perfect start of preparation of it. Sometimes it is hard to get good quality ghee. Making your own ghee with unsalted butter is a cheap and easy way to get quality ghee.
- 500 grams unsalted butter
- Metal Fine Strainer(চায়ের ছাঁকনি)
- To make ghee, gently melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Temperature is very important, if cook it over high heat you will not get nice fragrant from your ghee.
- After melting butter you will milk solid will float on top. You can skim the top layer off until Ghee looks clean (except for bits on the very bottom) and discard. This is optional because lots of us find it hassle and we can skim at the end.
- After 20-25 minutes cooking butter, it will separate into three layers. Foam will appear on the top layer, the milk solids will migrate to the bottom of the pan, and clarified butter will float between the two. Let the butter come to a simmer and hold it here until the middle layer becomes fragrant, more golden than when you started, and clear the solids on top out of the way to have a peek. Whole process will take 30-40 minutes.
- The milk solids at the bottom will begin to brown. Turn off the heat and let it cool for 20 minutes. Carefully pour ghee through a strainer, into a clean glass jar, leaving the milk solids at the bottom of the pan. Ghee / Clarified butter will keep at room temperature for weeks.