Shahi Puli Pitha / Glazed Fried Coconut Stuffed Dumplings
Shahi Puli Pitha / Glazed coconut dumpling is a foreign artistic version of fried Puli Pitha without compromising flavour. Instead of freshly grated coconut, I have used desiccated coconut here to make it easier for people especially keep in mind our second/third generation Bengali born immigrants who miss Bengali food badly. And instead of mawa I have used evaporated milk to make it more convenient and easier.
N.B. Thanks Rajani for encouraging me to start again my food blog.
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ghee / oil
- Lukewarm water
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon clarified butter / ghee
- 1 canned evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Oil for deep fry
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- Heat ghee and add desiccated coconut, cardamom powder; stir well, and fry 2-3 minutes.
- Add evaporated milk and mix well.
- Cook till milk dries out and coconut mixture comes dry along together.
- Add sugar and cook till it mixes with stuffing.
- Mix flour and oil well. and dissolve salt in lukewarm water.
- Mix flour mixture and salty water to make smooth hard dough. Cover it and let it sits for at least 15 minutes.
- In meanwhile make syrup with sugar and water and keep it aside. We need lukewarm syrup.
- Take the dough and divide it into 10-12 balls. Roll each ball into 3.5″ flatbread and place 1 tablespoon coconut stuffing on flatbread. Now fold like a dumpling and seal it to follow pinch and twist method. Or you can use fork or cutter to seal dumpling/ pith.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the balls and coconut stuffing.
- Heat the pan with oil on medium and fry dumplings till those become golden brown.
- When all dumplings/ pitha are fried and add in lukewarm syrup. Coat dumplings/ pitha with syrup well.
Keep aside all fried dumpling/ Puli Pitha.
- 12. Serve Shahi Puli Pitha / Glazed coconut dumpling or store it when it is cool down.
- Instead of making daugh, you can use a shortcrust pastry or wonton sheet.
- Make sure to seal stuffing well, otherwise, it will come out while frying and will caramelised burnt stain on Pitha.